Most folks only paint every 7 to 10 Years and many don’t know how to pick a qualified contractor…..
What Questions to Ask to Evaluate a Painting Contractor.
The following information is provided to assist property owners and homeowner’s in choosing a painting contractor. This is not an exhaustive list and all of the questions may not apply to your situation.
Here are 3 areas we recommend you consider in evaluation every painting contractor you talk to:
- The Reputation and Business Stability of the Painting Company
- Their Experience and Methodology
- Their Service Before, During and After Your Project
For each area simply ask the questions and ask the painting contractor to provide the evidence to support their answers.
Reputation and Business Stability of the Painting Company
- Will you supply a copy of your current insurance certificate?
- Will you provide a copy of your business registration for your current company? (This is proof of how long they have been in business under this name.)
- Can you provide me with a reference list and show examples of their work?
- Have you ever filed for bankruptcy for any company or organization in which you were an owner that did painting or home remodeling?
Experience and Methodology
- Will you provide a detailed breakdown of the service you are providing?
- Have you ever repainted or repaired a project that was out of warranty?
- What is your company phone policy?
- How often do you meet with the homeowner to review job progress?
- Do you provide a price guarantee?
We hope these questions give you the information you need to make the best choice when it comes to hiring, evaluating and working with a professional painting contractor to paint your home or install new wallpaper or wall coverings.
The Biggest Reason Why
Homeowners Shouldn’t Hire a Handyman to Repair Painted Surfaces
Proper surface preparation is the most important part of any paint job and the smart move is to hire a professional painting contractor to do it, NOT the handyman. A professional painter does this every day not once every couple of weeks or months. This is especially important for interior painting and repairs.
Many times homeowners will call a handyman service to repair a crack in the plaster or fix the trim or replace a door etc. These projects will require painting to complete the repair and the handyman will “volunteer” to do the painting.
If you need any of these interior painting services call a professional painting contractor:
- Dry Wall Repairs and Plastering
- Skim coating
- Staining and Varnishing New and Existing Woodwork
- Door Refinishing
- Decorative Painting Including: Glazing, Color Washes and Venetian Plaster